Hot, mild, or plain these wings will be your new go-to-wing-recipe! Each bite is filled with crispiness and so much flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 8 hours marinating time
Cooking Time: 30 Mins
For the chicken:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Sylvia’s hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts
For the batter:
- 1 Bag of Sylvia’s Fried Chicken Mix
- Canola, vegetable, or peanut oil
1. Marinate chicken: Mix the buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Put the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture and coat completely.
Marinate at least 8 hours and up to 24 in the refrigerator.
2. Dredge chicken: Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. In a large paper or plastic (sturdy) bag, Add Sylvia’s Fried Chicken Mix
Add a couple of pieces at a time, add the chicken to the seasoned flour and shake until thoroughly coated. Shake off any excess flour and let the dredged chicken pieces sit on a platter at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan: Meanwhile, heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet on medium heat (cast iron, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum—something that can take the heat). Heat until a pinch of flour gently sizzles when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking), about 325°F. Remember when working with hot oil, always have a pan lid close by, just in case of a grease fire.
4. Fry the chicken: Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil in the pan and fry until golden brown all over, about 8 to 10 minutes per side, flipping the chicken as needed with tongs. When done, the meat should register 165°F in the thickest part using a digital thermometer.
5. Remove to a rack to drain excess oil: Use tongs to remove chicken from pan. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet or a platter layered with paper towels for the excess oil to drain. Serve warm.