What's better than potatoes? Cheesy and soulful potatoes! Here's to another comforting dish the entire family can (and will) enjoy.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Mins
2 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/8 inch rounds
2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/8 inch rounds
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar (reserve 1/2 cup for top)
1 cup freshly grated white cheddar (reserve 1/4 cup for top)
1 tbsp of Sylvia’s Soulful Seasoned Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch casserole with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-low melt butter. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in flour; cook for 3 to 4 minutes whisking constantly. Whisk in onion powder, paprika, dried parsley, Sylvia’s Soulful Seasoned Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk; alternating between the two. Whisk until smooth; simmer for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and slowly whisk in 1/2 cups sharp cheddar and 3/4 cup white cheddar.
- Simmer while you layer the potatoes. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes and 1/2 of the onions in the casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Layer the rest of the potatoes and onions and pour the rest of the cheese sauce over. Top with the remaining reserved cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes or until it is nicely browned on the top and bubbly.