By: Rosalynn Daniels @rosalynndaniels
Ready to move beyond Onion Rings? Sylvia’s Deep-fried Blooming Onion will be your next star appetizer made with Sylvia’s Fried Chicken Mix.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
10oz Sylvia’s Soulfood Crispy Fried Chicken Mix
4-6 large Vidalia onions
11oz Beer of choice
Peel and cut off the top and bottom of each onion
- Carefully cut onion into 1/8 (Use chopsticks to prevent from going to low).
- Place onions in ice water for 2-3 minutes. (This will help onion to loosen up)
- Carefully pat dry and sit to the side.
- In a large bowl, add half of the Sylvia’s Soulfood Crispy Fried Chicken Mix and combine it with the beer. This will create your wet batter.
- In a large freezer bag, add the remaining mix to the bag.
- Place one onion at a time in the wet batter. Use a spoon to make sure that batter gets into each layer.
- Then place the onion into the freezer bag and shake well so that the dry mix completely covers the onion.
- Repeat the wet batter and dry mix one more time.
- Place each battered onion on a cookie sheet or a large platter and place in the freezer for 2 hours or more.
- When you’re ready to fry your onions, heat your vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 375 degrees.
- Take the battered onions out of the freezer and place in the hot oil immediately.
- Fry for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crispy all over.
- Place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Eat while hot. Use your favorite dipping sauce.