Bring a memorable Nashville style of spice to your home cooked meals with this Fried Chicken recipe. Enjoy the mouth watering mix of flavors from rich buttermilk to Sylvia's Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce. Make this weeknight dinner meal for your family and friends!
Prep Time 20 min
Cook Time 15 min
3-4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces I used a fryer pack, 8 pieces total.
1 ¼ cup dill pickle juice
3 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup Sylvia's Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons creole seasoning
2 quarts peanut oil or vegetable oil
For the Spicy oil:
¾ cup reserved fry oil
¼ cup ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1) Brine the Chicken: Warm the pickle juice on the stovetop or in the microwave. Then stir in the sugar until dissolved. Pour the pickle juice brine into a large zip bag. Add the chicken pieces. Zip the bag closed. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but longer is better. (If you can brine the chicken for 8 hours or overnight, that’s best!)
2) Once the chicken has brined, set out two shallow dishes. Pour the buttermilk and Sylvia's Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce in one shallow dish. Mix well. In the second dish, combine the flour, cornstarch, and creole seasoning. Mix well.
3) Drain the brine off the chicken. Set out a metal rack. One at a time, dunk the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then back in the flour mixture. Place the breaded chicken pieces on the rack. (It’s good for the chicken breading to rest before frying, so don’t heat the oil until all the chicken has been well coated.)
4) Set a large saucepot on the stovetop and clip a cooking thermometer to the side of the pot. Pour enough fry oil into the pot to fill it about two-thirds full. Turn the heat on medium to medium-high.
5) Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Set another rack on a baking sheet for the cooked fried chicken.
6) Once the oil temperature reaches 350 degrees F, carefully place four pieces of chicken in the fry oil. Use tongs to move the chicken so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Fry for 7-8 minutes, until golden brown. (The largest pieces should be 165 degrees F inside.)
7) Use the tongs to carefully pull the chicken pieces from the hot oil and place them on the clean rack. Place the fried chicken in the oven to keep warm and crisp.
8) Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces. Place the second batch of fried chicken in the oven. Turn off the heat.
9) For the Spicy Oil: Use a ladle to scoop ¾ cup of fry oil from the pot into a heat-proof mixing bowl. Add the cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir to mix.
10) When ready to serve the chicken, remove the rack from the oven and brush the spicy oil over all sides of the fried chicken pieces. It’s traditional to serve the chicken over 2 slices of white bread, topped with pickles.