This Cornbread Turkey Pot Pie is the recipe that not only brings flavor, but comfort. Prepare and serve if for Thanksgiving, or enjoy it with the leftover turkey! Thanks to Sylvia's Cornbread Mix, this Turkey Pot Pie is next level deliciousness.
Yield: one 10" cast iron skillet, serves 4-6
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 35 min
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 6-8 sage leaves
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded roasted turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 pkg Sylvia's Cornbread Mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Heat olive oil and butter and a 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted and oil is hot, add the diced carrots and celery along with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Cook for 6–8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the shallots and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes more, until the shallots are softened and the mixture is fragrant. Stir in the fresh herbs and another 1/2 tsp of salt.
- In the flour and cook for one Dash two minutes. While continuing to stir, stream in the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2–3 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the turkey, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Add Sylvia's Cornbread Mix and whisk until smooth. Pour the cornbread batter over top of the filling and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cornbread is deeply golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let cool slightly in the pan before serving.