Fall is here and the time for pumpkin carving is upon us. Keep those pumpkin seeds and roast them for a deliciously health snack! From plain and boring, to tasty seeds, seasoned with Sylvia's Secret Seasoning.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
One medium pumpkin
Sylvia's Secret Seasoning
Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut open the pumpkin by cutting a small circle around the stem end with a sharp knife (knife blade angled in), and pulling off the top.
- Use a strong metal spoon to scrape the insides of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and strings.
- Place the mass of pumpkin seeds in a colander and run under water to rinse and separate the seeds from everything else.
- Measure the pumpkin seeds in a cup measure. Place the seeds in a medium saucepan. Add 2 C of water and 1 tbsp of salt to the pan for every half cup of pumpkin seeds. Add more Sylvia's Secret Seasoning if you would like your seeds to be saltier.
- Bring the salted water and pumpkin seeds to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a roasting pan or thick baking sheet with olive oil, about a teaspoon or so.
- Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan in a single layer, and toss them a bit to coat them with the oil on the pan.
- Bake on the top rack until the seeds begin to brown, 5-20 minutes, depending on the size of the seeds.
- When lightly browned, remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack, Let the pumpkin seeds cool all the way down before eating.
- Either crack to remove the inner seed or eat whole. Enjoy!